‘Celebrate Laconia: 125 Years of the Lake City’ — Deadline extended to Nov. 26, 2017

More late-breaking news:

Last Chance to save!—

Deadline extended through Nov. 26, 2017. See ad, page 18, Laconia Daily Sun, Wed., Nov. 1, 2017.

Preorder before Nov. 26, 2017, and save $15 !!!

 
            ‘Celebrate Laconia: 125 Years of the Lake City’

‘Celebrate Laconia: 125 Years of the Lake City’New book, by Warren D. Huse, to be available in December 2017, issued by The Laconia Daily Sun and Pediment Publishing Co.

For ordering information, go to Laconia125.PictorialBook.com 

Description:

160 pages, hardbound, full-color cover

Foreword by Mayor Edward J. Engler

Written and photographs selected by Warren D. Huse, compiler of the History Pages, “Our yesterdays” column and the “Then and Now” feature for The Citizen and The Laconia Daily Sun, for the past 27 years.
Despite the title, which commemorates 125 years of Laconia as a city in 2018, there is coverage of the preceding 127 years of settlement — making more than 250 years in scope, together with mention of the Native American presence going back 10,000 years.

270 photos or other images and approximately 34 page-equivalents of text in 7 chapters. Text, highlighting significant events in the town and city’s history, is based on more than 50 years’ worth of “Our yesterdays” columns and 100 linear feet of back-up material in the Laconia Historical and Museum Society’s files. Separate chapters included for Weirs Beach and Lakeport.

Photos furnished by residents and former residents, as well as drawn from the collections of the Laconia Public LIbrary and Laconia Historical and Museum Society.

4 specially-prepared maps, showing stages of growth of both town and city.

Several historic aerial photographs, showing various parts of the city.

Reproductions of the town and city seals and the 1993 “Together for Tomorrow” Logo.

Most of the photographs have not appeared previously in other books, although they may have been published in connection with the History Pages in The Citizen or The Laconia Daily Sun.

Among Highlights:

Great Fire of 1860
Urban Renewal program of the late 1960s-early 1970s
Downtown Revitalization Program, late 1980s
Launching of Mount Washington II

The beach at Weirs Beach

Generously sponsored by:

Bank of New Hampshire
Melcher & Prescott Insurance
Cantin Chevrolet
Laconia Monument Co.
The Naswa Resort
Sanborn’s Auto Repair
Weirs Beach Drive-In Theater
Wescott Law P.A.

For ordering information, go to Laconia125.PictorialBook.com 

Antiques Appraisal Day, Saturday, Nov. 4, 2017, 3-5 p.m.

$5 per item, limit three items per person. Laconia Antique Center, 601 Main St., Laconia.

Expert appraisers including Greg Peverley offer verbal estimations of value on items including stoneware, clocks, coins, toys, silver, rugs, collectibles and general antiques.

Proceeds benefit Laconia Historical and Museum Society.

Joint Meeting of Laconia and Gilford Historical Societies, Oct. 16, 2017

What was Middle and High School like for Gilford and Laconia students for those graduating in 1952? Or should I say, for those graduating from Junior High and Senior High in 1952? Come to the joint meeting of the Laconia and Gilford Historical Societies om Monday, October 16th, at the Laconia Fire Station’s conference room at 7 p.m. Parking is available across the street at the Opechee Park.

The class of 1952 will be presenting this program describing what school was like 65 years ago; a living history presentation that will be both educational and humorous as told by former students from Gilford and Laconia who still live in the area. For the young, learn what school was like 65 years ago and compare it with your school days. For the children of those students, learn about your parents teenage school years, were they serious students’, did they have fun, or get into “mischief”? For those interested in the history of education, come and compare their memories with your memories of your high school days. The class of 1952 holds annual reunions where they delight in sharing memories of their school days and they will be sharing their memories with the audience.

The program is free and all are invited. Come, ask questions, and share the refreshments.

‘Opechee Park’ exhibit now on display’

An exhibit on the “History of Opechee Park” opened, Sept. 26, on the Upper Gallery Level of the Laconia Public Library.
The exhibit tells the story of people and events upon this land, originally settled as Meredith in Strafford County.
Pictures, souvenirs and representations will take the viewer back to the Fairgrounds days as well as numerous sporting competitions.
Pat Tierney, executive director of the society, notes that, “Most residents of Laconia have spent some time at this inner city park, although many were unaware of capacity turnouts at the old grandstand, the trotting track, as well as wonderful carnivals of another day.
“Perhaps no one property in Laconia has regularly entertained thousands of people for any number of outdoor recreational experiences.
“Cars were often parked from the beach extending away as far as the eye could see.
“Recently uncovered 19th century photographs showing primitive balloon rides from that location will also be featured.”

Vagabond Quakers, Sept. 18, 2017

Olga Morrill, of the Conway Public Library, will present “Vagabond Quakers” at 7 p.m., Monday, Sept. 18, in Rotary Hall on the Lower Level of the Laconia Public Library, sponsored by the Laconia Historical and Museum Society.
Learn of the remarkable brutality of the Puritan authorities in the Massachusetts Bay Colony against the Society of Friends through fascinating true stories from the 17th and 18th centuries.
rogram is free and open to the public.

Railroad Exhibit Ongoing at Library: June 21-Sept. 20, 2017

 

The Laconia Railroad History Exhibit officially opened Wednesday, June 21, in the gallery on the Upper Level of the Laconia Public Library. 

Three railroad stories unique to Laconia are told. The Laconia Car Company, with buildings and property along the Water St. of today, once produced passenger, freight and trolley cars from before the Civil War until well into the 20th century. The Laconia Street Railway graced downtown, Lakeport and the Weirs for many years. The passenger station celebrated a significant milestone with a 125-year anniversary event on Saturday, Aug. 19.

Artifacts, blueprints, pictures, maps, the people involved and, of course, trains will be on display. The exhibit is free and open to the public.

The Open House was provided with entertainment and a railroad mural by a number of teachers and students from Pleasant St. School. Not only did they sing ‘working on the railroad’, but those attending took the time to absorb the exhibit and ask good questions.

Three events in May 2017

Three events are being showcased by the Laconia Historical & Museum Society during May: A World War II presentation, an overview of the the loss and ongoing restoration of city centers, and an annual tour of the New Hampshire Veterans Association at the Weirs.

First up, LHMS will join Thompson-Ames Historical Society of Gilford at 5 p.m., Thursday, May 11, for a joint meeting at Immaculate Conception Church on Morrill Street in Gilford. Following viewing of a Propaganda Poster display, arranged by Ernie Bolduc, Dan Schroeder of the Wright Museum, Wolfeboro, will speak on the war and answer questions. The event is free and open to the public and refreshments will be served.

Then, at 7 p.m., Monday, May 15, local architect Jared Guilmett will present “City Centers Restored, Lost Identity and Community in Derelict Mill Towns.” His presentation will speak of not only what was, but the clear need to rediscover local identity. The program will be held in Rotary Hall on the Lower Level of the Laconia Public Library and is also free and open to the public with refreshments.

And, Saturday, May 20, at 1 p.m. the public may gather at the front entrance of the NH Veterans Association at The Weirs for the only annual tour of the facility. Under the guidance of Historian Fred Merrill, participants will not only enjoy the depth of the compound, but be treated to the great stories that have followed this treasure since the Civil War. The tour is free and open to the public.

For further information, contact LHMS at 527-1278, lhmslpl@metrocast.net or go to www.laconiahistory.org
Citizen Symposium, March 20.